OK people the word is Coconut fiber, and it’s been steadily gaining popularity as a growing medium for soil and hydroponic marijuana growing. So I feel the need to get some good information out there to you. This way it might be easier for you to make that decision on using Coconut Fiber in your next marijuana garden. Let me start with my most popular question I get from my viewers then move on to my “did you know” information statements.
Question: Is Coconut Fiber the same as the coco peat I see in a hydro-store or nursery, also what’s the best way to use it.
Answer: Yes Coconut fiber has many names and coco peat is one of them. As for the best way to use it try alone or mix 50/50 with perlite or expanded clay to increase drainage. You can even sprinkle coconut coir on top of rockwool blocks to keep them from drying out. One thing I have noticed is in order to get the most from your coconut coir you will need to keep the grow area air well circulated and ventilated.
1. Did you know Coconut Fiber is also called palm peat, coco peat, cocos, kokos and coir. If your thinking what Coir is, I will tell you. Coir is coconut pirth, the fiber just under the green husk that has been soaked in water to remove all the nasty salts, natural resins, and gums from it.
2. Did you know Coconut Fiber is biodegradable, don’t know about you but this makes me happy. This fiber can hold tons of water while retaining its structure. (some compressed bricks of coco peat can even expand up to 10 times their original size when water is added to them) I have used the compressed bricks of coco peat, and found out that they where very convenient to transport and store around my grow room while giving me better results in my garden.
3. Did you know when you go to buy Coconut Fiber you need to make sure it’s of top quality because this assures you that the fiber is virtually inert with low sodium content and the pH is between 5.5 and 6.8 . With numbers like this I can see no problems with the use of coconut fiber in your hydroponic marijuana gardens. (The lower grade coconut fiber is not suited for growing because of it’s fine grain texture and high sea salt content.)
4. Did you know coconut fiber is the first totally organic growing medium that works well in hydroponic systems.(This might not be a fact, just another crazy thought in my head. If you do know please fill me in.) This fiber is actually a waste product of the coconut industry. I have been told it has a larger oxygen capacity and a more superior water holding ability over the famous rockwool.
5. Did you know from all the things I’ve read they say Coconut fiber is the only growing medium that is naturally high in root stimulating hormones and can help protect against root diseases and fungus infestation.(that seems pretty cool to me) Think about it, its whole purpose in nature is to provide the coconut with a rich medium so when it falls to the soil it can grow roots, so it’s just doing what it was designed to do.
Well I’m going to stop myself with 5 of the “did you know” statements because I can’t be giving out all my sticky chronic green information unless you are getting my free marijuana newsletter. With you signing up for my marijuana news letter the world will be yours, just kidding but you will get a world full of outstanding valuable marijuana information for free.. (beat that) As always keep sending in your questions and comments.
Medical Marijuana Advisor
NOTE: These are my thoughts, and statements along with fellow team advisor reports and some great information from books by George F. Van Patten. Everything might not be 100% fact base, if you find a mistake please let me know.